Cinema Review – Snow White and The Huntsman
Like Buses Snow White films take forever to come out then two come at once. Scott takes a look at the second film to take a stab at this story.
Earlier this year we were treated to Tarsem Singh’s visceral and camp romp, Mirror Mirror, which I still am yet to see, but friends of mine said was a lot better than they expected. This week the UK get’s to see Snow White and The Huntsman, by first time feature Director Rupert Sanders. It is a darker, grittier telling of the fairy tale starring the eternally constipated (or that is what I get from her pout) Kristen Stewart. Unfortunately I wasn’t overly sold.
Whilst watching Snow White and The Huntsman last night I kept thinking to myself, why oh why did they cast her!!??? I am not meaning to bash Miss Stewart too hard, but there is no way I would ever choose her over the stunning and broodily sexy Charlize Theron in a million years, I wouldn’t even touch her with yours!! Even as the effects of using too much magic wreak havoc on The Evil Queens face…. I still would. Also even if she is your ‘BAG’, she doesn’t look like a Snow White. She is not Princess Beautiful. At least Lily Collins had the pale skins and red lips (OK let’s move on before we mention the eyebrows). Stewart is a pouting, one trick pony who couldn’t command alt delete let alone command an army!! If it wasn’t for the behemoth that was the Twilight franchise she would still be doing small indy films and making a living there, not taking the roles from deserving talented actresses. Shall I move on? I think it is time.
Although the film cost $70m to make (so I am informed) it seems that they were incapable of spreading the budget evenly. Some of the FX are brilliant, the opening battle was stunning, yet there is one face morphing scene that looks like it was made with pre Terminator 2 effects programming. It is a shame as apart from these glaring holes in the FX budget it is pretty good. The Dwarves were great, a broody lot, full of honour and freaky haircuts. They steal the show when they eventually grace the screen, shame they take so long to arrive.
There is however more problems with the film, or maybe this is not something that will bother others. But it seems that Sanders was heavily influenced by other films, some may say he even tole wholesale from others. Snow White and The Huntsman is like the poor mans Lord of The Rings. It is the diet coke version, and let’s face it Diet Coke doesn’t taste as good.
In one scene Snow White makes a speech to her troops to get them ready for battle, now if she was Maximus from Gladiator or even Braveheart, I would have been there in a flash armed with a sword ready to fight. But when a weedy, pouting mumbly girl who looks like she is need of a good movement rants on about honor and such, I just turned off. Strangely though her troops all roared and rushed to battle. Not very convincing if you ask me. Oops I am back to Stewart…. Sorry.
Chris Hemsworth is always great to watch, a bit of eye candy for the ladies, but whose bright idea was it to give him a Scottish Accent? He is OK at it for 60% of the time but it had me cringing for the other 40%. Theron is also excellent to watch, truly evil and scary. After this and Young Adult I think it is time she had something out that was a bit light-hearted, as I am scared that she is evil in real life now!!
At the end of the day, Snow White and The Huntsman is a fair effort with good fx (in places) as a gritty telling of a fairy tale. If you can cope with the fact that it is a poor copy of The Lord of the Rings and you can get over Stewart and her ways, then you may well enjoy this more than I did.
SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN IS NATIONALLY RELEASED TODAY IN UK
About The Author – Scott Lawlor
Chief Editor of FRC. A self confessed geek with an unhealthy thirst for all things Home Cinema. Whether it is the latest Action film or Subwoofer. Check out his home set up HERE
Have you seen this film? Are you interested in this type of film? Was I too harsh on it? Comment below